How can we apply technology to drive business value? For years, we've been told that the performance of software delivery teams doesn't matter―that it can't provide a competitive advantage to our companies. Through four years of groundbreaking research to include data collected from the State of DevOps reports, Jez Humble and his colleagues set out to find a way to measure software delivery performance―and what drives it―using rigorous statistical methods. This talk presents the findings of that research, including how to measure the performance of software teams, what capabilities organizations should invest in to drive higher performance, and how software leaders can apply these findings in their own organizations.
Getting software released to users is often a painful, risky, and time-consuming process. The practice of continuous delivery sets out the principles and technical practices that enable rapid, low-risk delivery of high quality, valuable new functionality to users. Through automation of the build, deployment, and testing process, and improved collaboration between developers, testers and IT operations, teams can get changes released in a matter of hours—sometimes even minutes—no matter what the size of the product or the complexity of the enterprise environment. This full-day workshop spends the morning providing an overview of the principles and practices behind devops and continuous delivery, and discusses how to implement these paradigms. In the afternoon we take a deep-dive into implementation specifics such as continuous integration, continuous testing, infrastructure management, architecture, and low-risk deployments (including database changes). Participants can expect to learn:
• Why continuous delivery is important and how it can help improve your organization
• The principles and practices of continuous delivery
• Case studies, including from regulated domains and firmware.
• A research-based approach to measuring software delivery performance, how to improve it using technical and management practices, and the role of culture.
• A framework for implementing process improvement paradigms, such as continuous delivery and devops, in your organization.
• How to implement continuous integration
• The principles of continuous testing, including effective acceptance test integration
• Architecting for continuous delivery
• Managing infrastructure for devops and continuous delivery, including cloud
• Principles and practices of low-risk deployments